The Halifax General Cemetery, Lister Lane, was opened in 1841. It covers three acres of land, laid out around a neo-classical chapel (now derelict) and a raised terrace with views across Halifax to Beacon Hill. It is Grade II listed in Historic England's 'Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England', and has many interesting monuments, particularly the gothic spires and obelisks along the main pathway.
Its memorials provide an index of many people who shaped the development of Halifax during its period of spectacular growth in the 19th century, a period which defined the way the town still looks today. Some of its many stories of local importance can be referenced through our publications or on the People page.
The Friends of Lister Lane Cemetery was formed in 1999. In collaboration with Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council, the volunteers attempt to promote the upkeep and public profile of the site.
New members and supporters are always welcome.
Please note new website under construction